Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Lettering 101: Tools of The Trade (and where to get them)

Some people have been asking me about the pens/paints I have been using. So here's a quick run down and a list of where they can be bought!


left to right: Muji and Moleskine notebooks, Calligraphy Nerd notepads, The Craft Central black notepad

Let's start with notebooks.  I have a few things to consider when I purchase paper: Does the ink bleed? Will calligraphy nibs work well with it? Will the ink feather? below are my trusted sheets!

I got most of my notebooks from Muji, They're really good for dip pen calligraphy and lettering, even watercolor. I also have a Moleskine (Which I got for free!), I mainly use it for lettering. Black notepad for gold or white ink writings, bought it from The Craft Central, I wish they come in bigger size though. (Not in picture, because I ran out already) I also use black scrapbook papers which you can buy from Papemelroti or National Bookstore. I also have these unlined notepads by Gail M called Calligrapads. The paper is dip pen friendly, and super smooth. Not sure who carries these, but do check out Craft Department.

Store links:
Muji Philippines / Muji PH Facebook 
Moleskine: Available at any bookstores near you
The Craft Central
Craft Department
Gail M / @the_md_writes


Watercolor pads!!! Remember that these are very different from your sketch pads. I tried using watercolor on a sketch pad, and nope! It doesn't work well! These are available at any bookstores, but they get sold pretty fast. Canson and Berkeley are both acid free, Canson has 200gsm sheets, while Berkeley has 180. I prefer Canson for watercolor, it's easier to work with especially when you do wet and wet techniques.

I use Moods board sheets (in Chill White) for final artworks. the sheets are smooth. Can be used for any medium. also available at bookstores.



Prang watercolor, Prang Glitters, and Simbalion 36-color Watercolor Cake Set

PAINTS! My paints are pretty much still for beginners. I haven't really invested on those expensive gouache ones, but maybe I should! Prang watercolors are available at any bookstores, but they run out quickly! This is perfect for beginners, they're easy to use and colors, although limited, are very vivid. I also bought these glitter watercolors also by Prang, but I rarely use them. Mainly because, they don't really dry (they're actually washable), or if they do, it will take a realllyyyyy long time. I also got this Simbalion Watercolor Cake Set from an Instagram shop (that is now on a hiatus), but good news because National Bookstore now carries the brand. But just like Prang, they sell out fast! The 36-color costs less than PhP200, which is a good buy already since the colors come out nicely, may seem chalky though, but works pretty well for me.




These are the only pens I use for lettering or zentangles - Uni Pin, Pigma Micron, and Marvy Uchida - in various sizes from 0.05 to 1.0. also available at different bookstores. They're well-pigmented, and fade-proof. I also have Uni-Ball Signo (not in photo) in white and silver, for black paper drawings and writings.


Zig Kuretake Pens!!! Now where to get started? Ha ha! I looove using their Fudebiyori line, the metallic ones writes well on black paper. they come in brush tips which are super easy to use. I also have the Scroll & Brush, it has two tips: for scroll and brush lettering. I don't really use the scroll side because I couldn't figure out how to use it! Next is the Cocoiro Letter Pens, The bodies and pens are sold separately, and comes in two tip refills: fine and brush, and various ink colors. They take some time getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it works flawlessly. Last but my favorite purchase, Zig's Wink of Stella pens. these are brush pens with glittery ink. Need I say more? They have more pens that I haven't bought yet, but these are super worth buying!

For a complere list of Zig products: https://instagram.com/zigphilippines

You can get them at these stores:
Swirls and Strokes
Scribe (Physical store at selected malls)
Craft Carrot


Nib holders, nibs and inks
Most of my nib holders are from workshops that I've attended. For the nibs, I've forgotten most of their names but my favorites are Nikko G and Tachikawa G. Current favorite ink is the Walnut Ink from The Craft Central. I suggest you compare prices before buying online, because some shops sell their tools cheaper than the others.

You can buy calligraphy tools here:
The Craft Central
Swirls and Strokes
Create Crafts PH



lastly, some gold ink tip! Goldlooks absolutely beautiful especially when used for calligraphy. Calligraphers have been using Finetec gold palette or the Zig Mica Gold ink, both are quite expensive. So if you're just planning to use gold for practice, try using gold and poster color! Transfer them in a small container, mix a small amount of water and voila! I bought some cream containers from Beabi, transferred the paint and water mix there so I can store it properly,

Other things you might need:
Water brushes: There are several brands available, Kuretake, Pentel or Sakura
Paint brushes: use the ones with synthetic nylon. Best brand for me is the Sakura (a little pricey), Berkeley is a good alternative as well.

xx,
Tin

Follow me on Instagram: @tinperez

No comments:

Post a Comment